Customer Representative
+90 850 840 2288
Akhiropiitos Monastery
The Akhiropiitos Monastery in Alsancak is one of Cyprus`^Byzantine treasures. Its Greek name conveys it was "made without hands". The legend goes that the Virgin Mary lifted the church to its present location to save it from Ottoman attacks.

The Akhiropiitos Monastery is built on the ruins of a 6th century Christian basilica. Having been rebuilt several times, the buildings show signs of early Christian, Byzantine and Frankish architecture with the main temple dates back to the 11th century. The monastery was the religious centre of the area, and until 1222 also headquarter of the Bishop of Lambousa, one of the 15 Bishops on the island. Legends say that the shroud in which Joseph of Arimathea wrapped the dead Jesus was brought to Cyprus and remaind in the monastery until 1452.